Defining User Actions for Objects
Object user actions are configurable instances of a Vault Action that you can define for an object and object types. By defining user actions for an object, you allow users to perform those actions on that object. Once configured, object user actions appear in the Actions menu for the applicable object record.
Viewing Vault Actions
You can view Vault Actions from Admin > Configuration > Vault Actions. At this time, the Vault Action page is read-only, and contains only custom actions created through the Vault Java SDK. To inquire about Vault Java SDK solutions, contact Veeva Services.
Accessing Object Action Administration
You can configure object actions for a specific object from the Actions tab in Admin > Configuration > Objects > [Object] > Actions.
Assigning Actions to an Object
To assign an action to an object:
- From the Actions tab, click Create to open the Create Action dialog.
- Select a custom action from the Select Action drop-down menu. This list shows all custom actions available for the specified object.
- Click Continue.
- Optional: Modify the Label, Status, and Name. The Label appears to users throughout the vault. The Status indicates if the action is active or inactive. The Name identifies the action through the API.
- Optional: Enter a Description. This value only appears in action configuration page.
- Click Save. If the object is associated with a lifecycle, Vault prompts you to set Atomic Security defaults for each lifecycle state.
Action Level Security (ALS)
Action Level Security (ALS) provides a unified way to secure object actions. You can configure ALS at two levels.
- Profile Level Security: Allows you to configure permissions at the Security Profile level for actions across all lifecycle states.
- Atomic Security: Allows you to control which object actors or lifecycle actions are hidden, viewable (visible but grayed out), or executable (visible and clickable) for object records by lifecycle state and role.
Configuring Profile Security on Actions
You can use Permission Sets to secure object actions at the User Profile level. This way you can assign the View and Execute permissions for an action on an object. Profile Security on actions provides another layer of control, allowing your organization to dictate which users can view or execute an object action from an object record’s Actions menu. Note that the Object Action Permissions section only appears for objects with configured actions.
To set up profile security on actions:
- Navigate to Users & Groups > Permission Sets > [Permission Set] > Objects* > [Object].
- Click the Object Action Permissions section. Note that the Object Action Permissions section only appears for objects with configured actions.
- Click Edit.
- Select the View and Execute checkboxes to assign permissions for All Actions or for specific actions. Note that when you assign a permission to All Actions, the permission applies to all future actions added to the object.