Sending Email Notifications with Rules
You can use a Rule to send an email notification to a group of users when certain conditions occur. For example, you could send a notification to medical monitors in your Study when a new Adverse Event is added to a Casebook.
There are two parts of the configuration for Send Email rules:
- Create an Email Group of users to send an email to.
- Create Email Group - User records to assign users to that email group.
- Create a Message Template.
- Create a Send Email rule.
Creating an Email Group
There are two parts to creating a new email group: creating an Email Group Definition and adding users to the email group by creating Email Group - User records.
To create an Email Group Definition:
- Navigate to Admin > Business Admin > Email Group Definitions.
- Click Create.
- Enter a Name for your Email Group.
- Optional: Enter a Description for your Email Group.
- Select Active for Email Definition Group Status to begin using your email group. If you select Inactive, you will need to edit the record and set the status to Active before you can use your email group.
- Select your Study.
- Click Save.
To add users to your Email Group Definition:
- Navigate to the Email Group - User object, either from Admin > Business Admin or a related object section on the Email Group Definition record.
- Click + Create.
- If not already selected, select an Email Group Definition.
- Select a User.
- Click Save, or click Save + Create to add this user and then immediately add another.
Creating a Notification Message
Creating a Send Email Rule
In the current release, you must first create your rule referencing a different Action Type (any one other than Send Email), perform some configuration in Admin > Business Admin, and then update the rule’s action type from the associated Rule Action record.
To create a Send Email rule:
- Create a new Rule from Studio > Rules, fill the required fields, and create your Rule Expression.
- Select a Rule Action other than Send Email, and make the required selections.
- Click Save.
- Navigate to Admin > Business Admin > Rule Actions.
- Locate the Rule Action associated with your rule in the list and click to open.
- Click Edit.
- From the Action field, select Send Email.
- Clear the unrelated fields.
- Select an Email Group.
- Enter the Name (including the
__c) in the Notification Template field.
- Click Save.
Versioning & Deployments
Email Groups and related records are not subject to casebook versioning. Like rules, review plans, and other versionless objects, you can create and edit Email Groups at any time, whether or not the Casebook Definition is published.
For studies using automated deployments, the deployment process will automatically migrate all email group configuration from environment to environment. For studies using manual deployments (studies created prior to the 19R3 release), you must configure your Email Group and message template in each vault.
Users with the Vault Owner security profile can perform the actions described above by default.