Deploying a Study in EDC Tools
Once you’ve finished creating your study design, you can deploy it. You can deploy your design from a development environment to UAT or training, or from UAT to production.
Accessing EDC Tools
To access the EDC Tools administration area, click the Tools tab in the primary navigation bar, and then click EDC Tools.
By default, once you open EDC Tools, Vault displays a list of automated deployment Studies. You can use the Automatic and Manual radio buttons to switch between these listings. Select Manual to access your manual deployment Studies.
For manual deployment Studies, click on the Study to open EDC Tools for that Study. For automatic deployment Studies, click on the Study to open the Deployments page. From here, you can click on an Environment to open EDC Tools for that study environment.
Once you’ve entered the EDC Tools area, select your Study if you have access to more than one Study. To return to the study list, click Back to Study Listing.
The following conditions must be met before you can deploy your study:
- The new casebook version does not contain any of these disallowed changes.
- The Casebook Definition has passed publishing validation with no errors.
- You have finished any testing of the design in your source environment.
- The target environment is not in the Under Deployment or Deleted statuses.
What Isn’t Included in a Deployment
The following configuration components are not included in a deployment. You must reconfigure these in every environment:
- Role assignments for Assessments
- Custom Change Reason Configuration records
- Custom Reports and Dashboards
- Synonym Lists
- Do Not Autocode Lists
- Custom Java SDK configuration (for example, custom triggers)
To deploy custom Vault object configuration, you must whitelist those objects. See details in Adding Custom Objects to the Deployment Whitelist.
Deploy the Study from the Source Environment
To deploy a study:
- Navigate to your Study Master in EDC Tools.
- Locate your source environment (the environment you want to deploy from) in the environment list.
- Hover over that Environment to show the Actions menu.
- Optional: Clear the Create detail PDF checkbox to not generate a Detail PDF for your study’s data in the source environment.
- Optional: Select the Delete study data checkbox to delete study execution data in the source environment.
- Optional: Select the Include System Data checkbox to include choose which vault-level configurations to include in your deployment. Note that these options are only available when you’re deploying to an environment in another vault. Select a configuration’s checkbox to include it in your deployment. You can also deploy these separately from System Tools.
- Optional: Enter a Reason for Change.
- Click Deploy. For non-production deployments, this begins the deployment process. For production deployments, this opens the confirmation dialog.
- For production deployments: Type “PUBLISH” into the confirmation field. Then, click Deploy.
Vault begins a job to deploy your study. When finished, Vault sends you an email notification.
You can track the status of your deployment from the Deployment History. Learn more in Using Deployment History.
Run an Amendment in the Destination Environment
Once your deployment finishes, a lead data manager can run an amendment in your destination environment to upgrade Sites and Subjects to the newly deployed version.
See Managing Casebook Versions to learn how to run an amendment.
Whitelisting Custom Objects for Deployment
You can include custom Vault object configuration in your study’s deployment. To do so, a Vault Owner must create a Deployment Whitelist record for each object you want to include in System Tools. Learn more in Adding Custom Objects to the Deployment Whitelist.
Which permissions control your access depends on when your vault was created. If your vault uses the Role by Study feature, see the first section, Role by Study Permissions. If your vault does not use the CDMS Role by Study feature, see the second section, Profile Permissions.
Role by Study Permissions
Users with the standard CDMS Deployment Administrator study role can initiate a deployment by default. Users with the CDMS Lead Data Manager or EDC Lead Data Manager study roles can run amendments by default.
|Standard Tab||EDC Tools Tab||
Ability to access the EDC Tools tab
|Functional Permission||Manage Study Deployments||
Ability to create and manage study Environments and deploy Studies from EDC Tools, as well as manage and deploy vault-level configuration from Tools > System Tools
If your Study contains restricted data, you must have the Restricted Data Access permission to view it.
Learn more about Study Roles.
Users with the Vault Owner security profile or EDC Deployment Administrator role security profile, or a copy of that role and security profile, can perform the actions described above.